So I was wondering if you can use AirPods for gaming and did some research for you. AirPods are one of the most convenient audio devices out there because not only are they wireless but they have decent audio quality too.
But can you use them for gaming? Is it a good idea? Let’s find out.
Can I Use AirPods for Gaming?
Yes. You can use your AirPods for gaming on PC, Xbox, and Playstation. To use AirPods for gaming you need to pair them to your device over Bluetooth.
If your device doesn’t have Bluetooth, buying a USB Bluetooth dongle should do the trick. However, AirPod’s audio quality is not nearly as good as a gaming headset.
AirPods work well enough with computer gaming. They’re ideal for PC gamers who don’t want to wear cumbersome headphones, over their heads all the time or want a wireless solution. AirPods can also function well with consoles but most consoles don’t natively support them.
I’ll cover how to connect AirPods to various platforms later on in this article.
Where to Buy AirPods? Check Price on Amazon.
AirPods for PC Gaming:
AirPods are great for listening to music, but what about gaming?
Setting up AirPods on a PC is easy. You’ll need either a PC with built-in Bluetooth (most laptops have Bluetooth) or a USB Bluetooth adaptor.
How to pair AirPods to Your PC:
- Press the start menu and type “Bluetooth” and click on “Bluetooth and Other Devices Settings”
- Turn on Bluetooth.
- Open the Airpods casing while the earbuds are still inside.
- Press the back button to make your AirPods discoverable.
- When the white light on your case begins to flash, the earbuds should appear in your computer’s device list.
- Click the AirPods on the list of Bluetooth devices and they should pair to your PC.
- Now all the audio on your PC will redirect through your AirPods.
Can I Connect AirPods to a PC Without Bluetooth?
You can connect AirPods to a PC that does not have Bluetooth by buying a USB Bluetooth receiver.
Insert the USB Bluetooth adapter into your PC.
- Windows should automatically detect and register it as a Bluetooth receiver.
- Open Bluetooth settings and search for nearby devices.
- Put your AirPods in pairing mode
- Connect to the AirPods from your PC.
How to Use AirPods with Xbox Series X:
Consoles (both Xbox and Playstation) don’t natively support Bluetooth devices, but you can usually get them to connect using an external Bluetooth adapter.
Bear in mind, since Bluetooth audio is not fully supported, the features will be quite limited. I recommend buying a good console gaming headset instead.
While it may not appear practical at first, using AirPods with the Xbox Series X is relatively simple if you have the appropriate equipment.
Along with your AirPods, you will need a 3.5 Bluetooth adapter plugged into your Xbox controller’s 3.5mm port.
Here’s how to do it:
- Connect the 3.5 mm Bluetooth dongle to the audio port at the base of your Xbox gamepad.
- Switch it on and ensure that it is scanning for a new connection.
- Open the case and take out your AirPods.
- Long press the back button until the LED lighting on the front begins to flicker.
This will make the AirPods connect with the adapter, allowing you to remove the AirPods from the case and begin using them as an audio device. Bear in mind, the quality won’t be very good and you should expect dropouts.
How to Connect AirPods with a PS4 or PS5:
Unfortunately, the PS4 and PS5 do not support AirPods natively.
You’ll need a USB Bluetooth adaptor to connect your AirPods to your console. You can either use a USB-C Bluetooth dongle or a regular USB-A.
Here’s how to use a Bluetooth dongle to link your AirPods to your PlayStation 4 or PlayStation 5.
- Insert the Bluetooth dongle into either USB or USB-C port on your PlayStation 4 or PlayStation 5.
- Set the Bluetooth adaptor to pairing mode.
- Ensure the Earbuds are inside their case before opening it. Hold down the button on the casing.
- When the lighting on the case begins to flash, the device should appear on your PlayStation 4 or PlayStation 5.
Try playing a game or doing something that uses audio. The audio from the console should be audible through your AirPods.
Downsides to Using AirPods for Gaming:
While you can use AirPods for gaming it’s not something that I recommend for a number of reasons.
If you want the best audio for games you should choose a gaming headset that can provide rich surround sound, noise-cancelling muffs, and deep bass for more immersion.
1 – Battery Runs out Fast
AirPods tend to run out of battery quite fast and you can’t charge them when they’re in use.
To charge them, you have to take them out of your ears and place them back in their case.
Having your audio randomly cut out when you’re in the middle of a game is no fun. You should be able to get a few hours of game time with them though.
2. High Latency
While the latency on Bluetooth has improved quite a lot over the years, it’s still not as good as a wired connection. It’s also a little unreliable, and the wireless signals can be interrupted by other frequencies.
3. Costly compared to wired headsets.
AirPods are expensive when compared to some decent wired gaming headsets. You can find plenty of good gaming headsets for under $100 that deliver much better audio than AirPods.
4. No noise-cancelling capabilities.
The original AirPods don’t have noise-cancelling features, but the new AirPods Pro do have them. Noise-cancelling is important because it blocks out background noises so that you can focus on the game audio.
AirPods, in my view, is best suited for mobile and cloud gaming and music. If you play computer or console games, you should purchase a gaming headset since they offer much more than earbuds. However, regardless of your device, AirPods for gaming has good sound quality and stereo sound.
What do you think? Have you used AirPods for gaming? Drop a comment below.